Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Little Boy Vest

A few weeks ago, I made a lilac sweater for my 5 YO granddaughter.



And, I also made a "Kiwi" baby sweater for a new grand baby that was due in July, but we didn't know the gender at the time.  (Our new grandson finally arrived July 16th.)


Well, I made the awful mistake of having something for my oldest grandchild and something for a new grand baby, but I didn't have anything for the middle grandchild.  Needless to say, he was not a happy camper and he had a major meltdown that I didn't have a sweater for him.  He was so distraught that he wanted me to drop everything that I was doing, (we were celebrating at a birthday party), and get my knitting needles and cast on right then & there!  I felt awful.

So, I didn't want to waste any time and I wanted a quick knit, so I knitted him a vest.  My grandson has a thing for vest.  Since he's growing so fast, this seemed like a very good idea.  He won't have to worry about the sleeves becoming too short.

(Color looks washed out here.)


(Color is truer here.)

This is a free pattern:  6-Stitch Plait Unisex Vest For Kids by Ratchadawan Chambers


It was fun, quick and easy and it was knitted in 2-pieces, Front and Back, then seamed together at the sides and stitches picked up at the armholes and neck.  I was was tempted to knit this from the bottom up to avoid sewing the seams together, but I decided to step out of my "comfort zone"and just do it as per pattern.  

I successfully learned the Mattress Stitch!  ( You Tube Link:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ7KEGUTlJM&t=180s)

I like that the pattern is for boys or girls and it's available in 3 different sizes.




I knitted the largest size and I used size 7 needles for the ribbing and size 8 needles for the body of the sweater.  I also knitted the front and the back of the vest simultaneously on their own needles, this way I was sure to get a matching length.  The yarn was from my ever growing stash.  Loops and Threads Impeccable in "Soft Taupe".  The yarn isn't very soft, but I'm trying to use up some of my stash.  Don't worry, I have a nice soft yarn coming in the mail for a cardigan or a hoodie for the same grandson.



2 comments:

Joansie said...

Well that was quick! Lucky boy! Nice job.

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

That's so sweet that he Loves his Grandmother's knitting. Quick thinking on your part and thank goodness for our stash !

Camo & Pumpkin Hats