Friday, May 19, 2017

Knitting Cables; substitutes

I didn't realize that it's been so long since I've posted, so this is going to be a long one.

I've been knitting for a very long time, since 1st grade.  My Mum & I had the same Wright Boye Interchangeable Knitting Needle set from the 1970's & the 1980's.

(1970's or 1980's)

(Year: 2000)

The set comes with several US sizes:  1 through 15.  Sizes 9 through 15 required a special connector to connect to the stiff nylon cables.  My Mum & I used this set for years.  

(Boye Interchangeable set connecting to a knitting needle tip with a tapered end.)

(The connectors on the tips.)


Then, early in the year 2000, I bought a brand new Boye Set with a rare 50% off coupon from Michael's.  The newer set, all the ends are tapered and don't require the special connectors that are very easy to lose & very hard to buy replacements.

I love my kit that I bought in 2000, esp.; the tips, but since I've been using Addi Turbos, Addi Clicks & Knit Picks knitting needles, I'm not so fond of the hard stiff nylon cables of my original set.

Through the many knitting groups that I belong to online,  I've made the most wonderful discovery!  I found out that the ChiaoGoo cables, (the ones labeled "small") are a perfect fit for the Boye Interchangeable with the tapered ends.


I found ChiaoGoo Cables & connectors at Handsome Fibers & Paradise Fibers.  This being said, neither site or company advocates or recommends using the ChiaoGoo products with other brands.  So far, so good.  I haven't had any problems using the CG cables with my Boye set.

(Cable & Connector.)  (Small)

(Nylon cables)

Now, you might wonder why I don't just bite the bullet and buy yet another interchangeable set & just get the ChiaoGoo Interchangeable Set?  Well, because I just love the look and feel of my original set & all the pretty colors.  It's like a box of new crayons for me as a kid.

(ChiaoGoo Cable with Boye needle tips, size 6.)
Today, I made another discovery.  I also have the Knit Picks Nickel Platted set.  The needle tips are nice, but the cable keep breaking, so I don't use them very much anymore.  However, I found out through other knitter that the cables to the Knitter's Pride set works with the Knit Picks.



1 comment:

glorm said...

You certainly do have a lot of knitting cable sets, but you have to like what you're using. I have 3 sets, all Boye, with one set from the 80s so they have those connector pieces. So glad they found a way to get rid of those. Have fun using your sets.

Kiwi Baby Sweater and Hat