Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Hand Winding Yarn

A few weeks ago I ordered online some Christmas themed sock yarn.  It arrived as a hank of yarn.

 I had a bad experience with unwinding & re-winding a hank of yarn ONCE.  That was enough for me.  After that, I purchased hanks of yarn from my LYS & I had them wind the yarn into a ball or a cake of yarn for me.

Then, three years ago some dear friends gifted me with 2 hanks of yarn from an Alpaca farm.  I have yet to deal with it. 


Then, I watch several videos on You Tube on how to wind yarn into a skein with a center pull.  I've had a lot success with winding small amounts of yarn by hand using a cardboard toilet paper roll.  I wasn't too sure how I felt about winding the new (expensive) sock yarn by hand and since I purchased it online l couldn't ask my LYS to do it for me.

I found a manual yarn winder from Michaels on-line.  I applied a 40% off coupon, so I thought for $17 it would be a good investment.  I really didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on a yarn gadget, because I don't buy a lot yarn that isn't already in a skein and ready to use.

  
 Wow!  This was a big disappointment and it's going back where it came from.  I'm too embarrassed to say how many hours I spent trying to get this thing to work.  My experience was awful.  The skeins were too messy & too loose and I ended up wasting a lot more time untangling a mess of yarn rather than enjoying it.  (I used leftover yarn, because I didn't want to ruin my good yarn.)

So, back to winding a hank of yarn by hand.  This this time I used a paper towel roll and I cut it a little longer than a toilet paper roll and it worked great!




I  used 2 chairs to hold the hank of yarn while unwrapping it.

Yarn Cake with Center pull.

 I don't know what I'm going to knit with this yarn, but I'm so glad that it's ready to be cast onto my needles.
 

1 comment:

Joansie said...

Deb, the minute I saw the picture of the yarn winder, I knew it was going to be bad. I'll have to send you a picture of a good one that is inexpensive. You can also use a "nodespin" (sp?) to manually wind yarn into a cake. I got one for Christmas because I wanted one. In a pinch, you can even use a carrot....Google it. I would be totally lost without my winder.

A Couple of Little Projects