Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Some New Projects

We had some snow, not nearly as much as others have had in other parts of the U.S., but it has been cold.  Then, there's the issue of ice.  I can't walk on it.   I can't keep my balance on it and I don't want to take any chances on falling either.

So, I'm "stuck" indoors.  Cold weather and ice....that's a good reason as any to knit and knit some more.

I got new knitting needles for Christmas.  Addi Clicks.  I love, love, love these needles and I've been giving them a pretty good work out.

I have a baby shower to attend in a couple of weeks for a baby girl due in early April. The mom-to-be likes hot pink and zebra colors for her theme.

I used some Caron's Simply Soft from my stash in hot pink.  I think that the color is called "Strawberry".  I used my Addi Clicks and size 10 needles.  I need to sew on a button.

 Five Hour Baby Sweater by Courtney Filner
http://yarntootin.typepad.co/5%20hour%20baby%20sweater%20corrected.pdf






I also finished a set of Mother & Daughter hats for my daughter and her toddler daughter.  I used Vanna White yarn in the color white.

Piper Cloche' by Heidi May

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/piper-cloche




  Yep, the hats need buttons, too.  I'm waiting for the weather to improve, so that I can get to my LYS with my daughter and select some matching buttons.

My youngest daughter asked if I could knit her some fingerless mitts? (You know that you have to keep those fingers out in the open and out in the elements no matter how cold it is.  One has to keep texting.)   Can I? Yes, I can and did.  I used Vanna White's yarn in Silver Gray.

I did the 1st mitt via the Magic Loop method and I followed the pattern.

Lazy Rib Fingerless Mitts by chocolatetrudi

http://www.creativefidget.com/wordpress/?p=3713



 
I didn't like how the thumb part of mitt was worked, so when I started to work on the 2nd mitt, I CO with DPNs and instead of picking up 3 sts for the thumb, I picked up 4 sts, then I transferred the last stitch from N3 to N1 and then I knitted 2 together through the back loop. (K2tog TBL).  A technique that I had learned from my sock knitting days.

Left- ML method                           Right- DPNs


I like the look and the feel of the 2nd mitt, so that I'm going to re-do the1st one on DPNs and work the thumb like the 2nd one.

As soon as I get buttons and get them sewn on, I'll take pics of the baby sweater and the hats.  I'm also researching different methods of sewing buttons on knitted items.



1 comment:

Joansie said...

The new mom will love the sweater. Hopefully, she takes a picture of the baby wearing it for you.

Lovely hats.........they look so soft!

Little Boy Vest