Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Finally....A Hat That Fits!

I've been knitting for almost 50 years and I've made plenty of hats for myself and others, but I've discovered that I have trouble finding hats that actually fit me.

I don't know if I have a big head, (not to be confused with having a fat head) or just a whole lot of hair or both.

Most hat patterns for women consist of a CO of 80 or 88 sts.  Most hats for men consist of 96 sets. to 100 sts.  So, I decided to try creating my own pattern with a CO of 96 sts.

SUCCESS!





I used the left over yarn from the baby hat that I made.  It's by Loops & Threads Soft & Shiny.  Color:  Starry nights.




I used my Addi Clicks Size 5 & Size 7.

Here's the pattern:

Hat is knitted in the round.

Size 5 Cir. Needle.
CO 96 sts. Knit in 2x2 ribbing for 3”.
Switch to Size 7 needle. Continue knitting in stockinette for 8”.
Dec. for Crown.
(k6, k2tog.) 84 sts. K 3 rnds.
(k5, k2tog.) 72 sts. K 3 rnds.
If using Cir. needle, switch DPNs.
(k 4, k2tog.) 60 sts. K 2 rnds.
(k 3, k2tog.) 48 sts. K 2 rnds.
(k2, k2tog.) 36 sts. K 1 rnd.
(k1, k2tog.) 24 sts.
(k2tog.) 12 sts.
Cut long length of yarn & draw through sts.
Weave in ends.

1 comment:

Joansie said...

Nice hat, Deb. I previously left a comment a few days ago. Not sure what happened.

2 Baby Girl Sweaters Finished