Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pen Caddy

I took a little break from knitting baby items.  Remember a while back that I had mentioned that as a child had a fascination with crayons, especially a brand new box of crayons?

Well, I kind of out grew my fascination with crayons, but I never got away from my attraction with new pens or pencils.  When I was out doing a little bit of back-to-school shopping with my youngest daughter we came across these items.


Papermate Design (mechanical pencil)

I also found these Papermate InkJoy Pens.

As much as I love pens and pencils, I hate it when I can't find them in my purse, so I was searching for a small and quick knitting project and I came across this pattern for a knitted pen/pencil caddy from Knit Wits Heaven.  I must tell you that I made quite a few modifications to the original pattern.

That's one of the things that I just love about knitting is the adaptability to change a patten to suit my needs or likes.

 I used cotton yarn from my Mom's stash.  (Thanks Mom!)  Probably Sugar & Creme in some kind of denim ombre.  Size 7 DPN's as per the original pattern.  I knitted on DPN's in the round, because I really dislike sewing anything together.  The pattern says to knit for 8 1/2-ins. or desired length, which I found to be too long, so I ripped it back to 6 ins.  Then, for the flap decreases.  I did:  K 1, SSK, then knit to the last 3 sts and K2tog., K1.  Instead of the K2tog on both ends of the flap.
 
 Then, instead of working the decreases until 4 sts were remaining, I worked the decreases until 6 sts. remained and I made a buttonhole by K1, K2tog., YO, K2tog,, K1.  Knit last row (5 sts), then bind off.  I had a single pearl-like button in my collection.  I thought it was a nice touch.  The patten calls for using velcro, but I didn't want to be bothered with that.


 The back

I like quick little projects once in awhile.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

What a great idea! I too hate digging in my purse. Might give it a try, except that I'm not very good adapting patterns with knitting. Do a bit better with crocheting, but knitting would be more solid which would be better for this type of a project. I might have to mine without the taper....great idea though, thanks!

Camo & Pumpkin Hats