Thursday, December 01, 2011

Thorpe Is Off Of The Needles

I just finished knitting the Thorpe Hat for my youngest DD.  She's been wanting me to make one of these hats with the ear flaps and the braids for a very long time.

Thorpe by Kirsten Kapur, Raverly link here.  I purchased the yarn sometime ago and I CO almost immediately and I think that I had this hat finished all except, for the braids in about 2 days, but then I wasn't too sure of the size, which is a medium.  So, I CO another hat and I knitted it for the Large size, but when my DD tried it on, she decided that she liked the way that the medium hat fit her.



I wasn't too sure of the ear flaps, I had miscounted the number of ridges that was called for in the pattern, so I was going to re-do them, but my DD insisted that they were just the right length for her.

So, I left the Thorpe on the back burner for a few weeks until I decided what to do if anything.  Well, our weather has gotten decidedly colder and my DD says that she really wanted to wear this hat now.  Last night, I did the half double crochet thing (ugh!) all around the hat and tonight. I did the braids tonight.  My DD is thrilled and she plans on wearing it to school tomorrow.  I'm really grateful that I have a kid that likes to wear my hand knits.  She likes to wear them, but not model them.

I used Bernat Softee Chunky Yarn in Denim Ombre and US size 9 needles (Knit Picks).  The pattern says to CO on 4 sts. on DPN's....are they kidding me?  I did this entire hat using the Magic Loop method of knitting in the round.

The Bernat Softee Chunky Yarn is a beautiful yarn, I really enjoyed knitting with it, but a sales lady at Michael's Arts & Crafts told me that it was being discontinued.  Guess I'll have to go shopping for something else.  ;-)

3 comments:

Joansie said...

The hat came out great! It really is a great hat to knit!

Sandy said...

Looks like a nice warm hat! Visiting everyone on my blog log to say Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Sandy said...

Belated Happy New Year, making my rounds again.

Little Boy Vest