Saturday, October 15, 2011

White Baby Sweater and Earflap Hat

Honestly, I don't mean to be a one-trick-pony, but I have yet another baby sweater and hat to show you as well as another baby blanket.

My DD's sister-in-law is expecting a baby boy soon and the shower is this Sunday.  So, I knitted another Baby Ripple Baby Blanket in white, yellow, and green.  

Then, I made a nice white Seamless Yoked Baby Sweater by Carole Barenys.



 I just love the design of the yoke.
The pattern was somewhat easy, but I did find the directions to be a little bit vague.  For instance, the instructions say to knit the sleeves until the desired length.  Hmm....so, I had to go looking at some other baby patterns to see how long  the sleeves should be for a baby 6-9 mons.  I made the sleeves about 6 inches, in case you're wondering.

Then, I wanted to make a hat to go with the sweater.  I hate when it's cold outside and babies don't have their little heads covered, esp.; their little ears.  So, I found this earflap hat pattern by Kathy North.

I made a few adjustments to the pattern.  The original says to do a "backwards cast-on" so that additional stitches could be put into place for the front and the back of the hat.  I did a cable cast-on. which I think made things look nicer and they were easier to work on that first row after casting on.  I also did about 5 rounds of garter stitch for the front and back of the hat and stockinette stitch on the ear flap part.  I did this, because I wanted the hat match the garter that was on the sweater.  It ended up working out better then I had expected.  The hat lays flat and the edges didn't curl up, so I didn't have to press flat with an iron like the pattern suggested.  I made i-cords for the ties, but I went down a needle size (5) just because I thought it would look neater.

 Let's see...what can I knit next???

3 comments:

Anna said...

What a lovely blanket and hat. That's going to be one spoiled little baby. =)

Joansie said...

Great job, Deb. I like that you gave us all the specifics. I think you have become a speed knitter.

Carol said...

wonderful Job Deb! I'm really into this sweater too I'm working on my 3rd. and thanks for the link on the hat I've been looking for a smaller sized one!

Camo & Pumpkin Hats