Friday, August 12, 2011

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today....my mom, the closest person next to me, besides my husband, lost her courageous battle against ovarian cancer.

Ovarian Cancer Awareness bracelet: "It whispers, so listen."


She loved her family which included my dad whom she was married over 50 years before he had passed away, and 4 daughters and 1 son, several nieces and nephews, and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.



She taught me to knit when I was just 6 years old.  She believed in me.  I was born 9 weeks premature and I have cerebral palsy as a result of it.  She believed that I could walk without the aid of leg braces and she fought for me to go to a regular school, before main-streaming came around.  The school principal and most of the teachers thought that I would be better off at a special school for the handicapped. The word "special needs" haven't been thought of yet.  She believed that I could do almost anything that any other child could do that did not have CP.  She also believed that I was going to have a "normal" life, get married and have kids, etc.

She loved to listen to Big Band music, the Mills Brothers and Dean Martin and she had a fondness for this singer:  Daniel O'Donnell.  She also loved to watch TV.  One of our favorite things to do together, (besides shop), was to sit & knit while watching TV & talking.

Needless to say, I miss her like crazy.

 (Sorry for the quality of this photo.  Our scanner isn't playing nicely with the computer these days.)

I really didn't feel like doing much of anything today.  I was supposed to go out to the stores with my Hubby today, but that just didn't pan out.  We got tied up on the phone with lawyers and insurance companies, but that's for another post on my blog someday.

So, to honor my Mom...I sat and I knit for most of the day today.

I've made a lot of progress on the "Triple Wave" afghan.  


It's really getting pretty heavy and kind of warm to knit right now, so I decided to CO a sock.  

This pattern is called Double Scoop and it's not as complicated as it looks.  I like to knit socks on 2-Cirs and I like to knit socks both ways, Toe-Up and from the Cuff Down.  I've had the pink yarn forever and I hate it, so maybe after I'm done with these socks, I can retire the pink yarn for good.

My dear Mom, never could understand why I or anyone else for that matter would spend so much time knitting socks.  I guess she was in good company.  (Please watch video.)

I love you Mom and I miss you!  Thanks for all the love and thanks for all the knitting memories.


4 comments:

Anna said...

I'm sorry that you lost your mother to cancer, cancer is horrible. =(

On another note, your blanket is coming along beautifully. I'm so jealous, I wish I could make blankets as quickly and as beautifully as you do. You're a quick knitter!

Deb said...

Hi Anna,

I don't think that I'm a fast knitter, since I'm a "thrower" & not a continental knitter. It's just that I don't have babies or toddlers to chase around anymore. :-)

Joansie said...

What a touching tribute to your mom! Thanks for sharing.

Deb, the afghan is absolutely gorgeous, great job and daughter will love it.

Sandy said...

Nice tribute to you Mom, I understand the loss, I think of my own Mother who's also gone many times as I go about my day to day.
Hugs
Lovely ghan

2 Baby Girl Sweaters Finished