Thursday, August 04, 2011

New Afghan and New Book

I really liked the Triple Wave afghan that's in The Little Box of Throws.  I went to Michael's Arts and Crafts to get the specified yarn which was Lion Brand's Wool-Ease Thick and Quick.  

(photo copyright of Martingale & Company)
Well, after handling the yarn I discovered that I had a sensitivity or possibly an allergic reaction to the stuff, so I switched to Michael's Loops & Threads Impeccable Yarn and I decided to use size 10 1/2 Circular Needle. I also CO 195 sts. instead of the 147 sts, called for in the original pattern on size 13 needles,   It's coming along quite nicely and pretty fast.


I decided to use 4 different colors instead 3 like in the pattern, so I guess that this afghan might be called, "Quadruple Wave" instead of Triple Wave. Again, this is an easy pattern to do and to memorize.  It's just 2 rows, a pattern row and a purl row.  The stitch pattern is called a Chevron Pattern and not a Ripple Pattern.  They are very similar, so I'm not too sure what the difference is between the two of them.  I really like the color scheme, too.  Loops & Threads Impeccable Yarn is nice to work with.  It's not scratchy and it's not too soft either.  It's a good everyday yarn, machine washable and dryer safe.

I received a book from Amazon.com yesterday.  It called, Original Hell's Angels  I got this book, not because I'm into WWII history or anything, but because my Uncle Rip is in it.  My uncle fought in over 40 missions in England during WWII and he was one of Original Hell's Angels.  I've been so busy knitting that I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it's loaded with tons of photos from that time in history.


My Uncle is the 2nd man from the left.  The only one with a mustache.




Oh, I'm liking my new purse a lot!  I can carry all sorts of things, including a small knitting project like a sock.  Very  important feature for a knitter's purse.

2 comments:

glorm said...

That is a good pattern for the afghan.

Super cool regarding your uncle and WWII. When you have time possibly you could write down all you remember about him and place it with the book.

Anna said...

I love that afghan, I can't believe how much you've completed already! You must be a very fast knitter! Maybe someday I'll knit an afghan, I've always wanted one, but I prefer crochet to knitting when it comes to large projects.

Also, I totally agree about Loops & Threads impeccable yarn. It's really nice to work with. I'm using it to crochet the baby blanket I'm making for #2. I feel like it's just the right texture, it's not too soft or fuzzy (therefore it's very durable) but it's also not scratchy so it's pretty much the perfect yarn. It's one of my new favorite brands!

A Couple of Little Projects