Sunday, July 31, 2011

New Yarn & New Purse

I had a great day out after church.  Michael's Arts & Crafts had a 20% off entire order, so like any good knitter...off I went.  I originally set out to get materials for this afghan.

photo copyright of Martingale & Company

 The pattern called for Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick yarn (#6) and size 13 needles.  Well, I got to Michael's and they had the charcoal, the off-white, but no deep green.  The only green that they had was called, "grass", a bright green....not the color that I was looking for.  So, I browsed around a bit and I thought of using a navy blue for the green, but while I was looking through all the different colors of Wool-Ease, my hands started to burn and itch & get real hot and irritated.  So, I had to come up with a different game plan.  If I was that sensitive to the yarn just holding it, I didn't think that I would be able to tolerate knitting with it for long periods of time.  And, if the yarn was bothering me, then it was probably going to bother the recipient of the afghan, too.

After much thought and shopping around, I decided on Loops and Threads yarn (#4), and probably size 10 or 10 1/2 needles and I'll have to adjust the number of cast on stitches accordingly, and I decided on a completely different color scheme.


 


I selected off-white, beige and forest green.  The yarn seems nice and it doesn't bother my skin.
I also picked up a couple skeins of cotton yarn and some baby yarn and a couple of gadgets.  The price was right...what can I say.


With the 20% off coupon, I saved about $10.

At the beginning of summer, I saw a purse that I really liked, but I didn't like the price tag.  I  was doing some back to school shopping with my youngest daughter and guess what I spotted?  Yep, the purse.....on sale for just a little over $11!!!

So, now I'm going to go cast on with my new yarn.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Have fun! I really like the Loops & Threads Impeccable yarn. That's what I'm using to crochet a baby blanket for my baby on the way. It's easy to work with. Have fun on your new project!

Joansie said...

I haven't tried this yarn so I will wait for your report. I've knitted with "Wool Ease", and though they have a wonderful selection, I didnn't find it satisfying to knit with as it just was not soft enough for me.

Love the bag! Enjoy!!!!

2 Baby Girl Sweaters Finished