Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mother's Day and B-Day Gifts

I'm playing a little "catch-up" with my blog.  There was Mother's Day, which was very nice by the way, but totally different without my Mom.  Her birthday was the 10th of May and my birthday was on the 12th.  For as many years as I can remember, we always celebrated our birthdays and our birthday cakes together.  Then, when I became a mom....almost 21 years ago, we celebrated that together, too.  My husband said that it was almost as bad as Christmas around here.

So anyways, Hubby and the kids took me out to dinner to my all-time favorite restaurant .  I had steak and rice pilaf and cheese cake for dessert.  We had a wonderful time.

For Mother's Day, they gave me some Addi Turbos Circular knitting needles, in sizes 8 and 9, which really surprised me, because the kids say that I have enough knitting stuff.  Impossible! I say, and I got a gift card for iTunes so I can legally download music for my Nook or my MP3 player. 




For my birthday, they got me a fantastic ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins....need I say more!

They also gave a gift card to Michael's Arts & Crafts and a gift card for Barnes and Noble, so that I can download books and/or apps to my Nook.  I also got a bundle of blank CD-Rs and a CD wallet, so in my spare time....when I'm not knitting...I can convert my cassettes and LPs to CDs.


All in all it was a great Mother's Day and birthday celebration.


Now for some knitting content.


Well, like my dear Mom used to say, "Well, I've done a lot more ripping out than putting in.'


I've been working on the Lover's Knot afghan, but it's gotten kind of warm for that.  Oh, and I've started over on the afghan.  I still have the original afghan on the needles, but I wanted to to make the afghan just a little bit wider, so I CO 228 sts on size 10 cirs, instead of the original CO of 192 sts on size 9 Cirs.  I must be crazy, but I always do this to myself...change ideas in mid-project.


I also put the buttons on the Baby Surprise Jacket.  I was going to gift this for an up and coming baby shower, but there's a place on the sweater that I'm just not happy about, but I'm probably the only one that knows it's there.




 
See the spot that I have circled?  Those are the pick up stitches and they showed up on the right side of the sweater.  I have this same problem with my socks when I do the pick up sts for the gusset too, but I'm not too concerned my socks, because that part is usually inside my shoe.
 
So, now I'm working on another baby boy sweater, but this one is adapted from a baby girl sweater that I'm changing it around for a boy.  More about that in my next post.

2 comments:

Joansie said...

I'm so proud of you! You finished your BSJ.

I'd say you made out like a bandit with all those gifts.

Deb said...

Yes, I did all right in the gift department.

Thanks for all the help & the encouragement with my first BSJ! There will be more of these in my future.

Kiwi Baby Sweater and Hat