Thursday, May 12, 2011

May 12th-My Birthday-Different

As you know, this was the first Mother's Day without my Mom.  Her (90th) birthday was Tues. & today is my birthday....my first one in 52 years without her.  It's been a rough week so far to say the least.

Mother's Day at church was so very hard, because there were at least 7 of us who have lost our Moms in the past year, but I put on a happy face & got through it, because the kids needed me to.  My bitter sweetness of the day was not lost on my youngest daughter....that girl is so in tune with me & my emotions & my spirit.  Much like my Mom & I were.    Then, Mom's birthday came & went, all was subdued.

Now, today, is my birthday....yes, I indulged in some melancholy & self-pity this morning & stayed late in bed until I thought that I could cope with the day.  Stinkin' thinkin' aside, I knew that my Mom would want me to get up & embrace the day.  So, I thought & I prayed & I thought & I prayed some more.....then, I remembered that whenever my Mom was over here, she would always say, "You guys are so blessed."

I felt like the Lord was telling to get up, "This is the day that I have made.....your birthday...get up & rejoice in it"  Yes, I paraphrased.  And...I thought to myself, "Lord. how can I be "Happy" today?  Especially today?"

I felt like the Lord told me to look this up:


Happy Definition


Dictionary.com

hap·py

[hap-ee]

–adjective, -pi·er, -pi·est.

1.
delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing: to be happy to see a person.

2.
characterized by or indicative of pleasure, contentment, or joy: a happy mood; a happy frame of mind.

3.
favored by fortune; fortunate or lucky: a happy,




The Greek word for ‘Blessed’ is ‘Makarioi’ which means ‘happy, supremely blessed, and fortunate’.

So my Mom is right....again...I am blessed....supremely blessed.

3 comments:

Joansie said...

Happy Birthday!

Deb, this was also such a special day in your mom's life that, of course, she would want you to enjoy it to the fulless.

Kick up your heels for the rest of the day. If not, prop them up and knit to your heart's content with your mom's needles.

Joansie said...

Mother's Day is like Christmas. We have so many expectations that are sometimes difficult to meet. One more birthday so instead of celebrating the day, celebrate the year.

Sandy said...

I understand where you're coming from. It does get easier, truly it does. Each first is the hardest. Next year, you'll be sad, and still miss her; but you know you can do it, because you already have. AND...your Mom would expect no less.
Sandy

A Couple of Little Projects