Thursday, October 07, 2010

My Knitting Is On Stand-By

I was working on the first sleeve of my sweater, but I'm not too sure that I like that way that it's taking shape, so....I've put it down for the time being until I can decide what I want to do with it.  I haven't figured out whether to forge ahead or rip the sleeve out and work it a completely different way.  Decisions, decisions, decisions.

However, this doesn't mean that I've kept my hands or my needles empty.  I've been tinkering with my Sweater Wizard software.  I've have this program for a few years now, but I have yet to actually create and knit up a sweater with it.
For several days now, I've been playing around with knitting up an infant sweater using the software.  I've been trying to design a garment that is knit from the neck down with raglan sleeves, but I haven't been able to achieve the effect or the design that I want.  So, as my dear beloved Mom would say, "I've been doing a lot of putting in and ripping out and nothing to show for it."

I found these 2 books at the library the other week.
Teach Yourself VISUALLY Sock Knitting (Teach Yourself VISUALLY Consumer) Laura Chau (Author)
I borrowed this book just in case there's something new that I can learn about sock knitting.  This is an excellent book for beginners learning to knit socks.



I really like this book.  It's filled with a lot of fun facts about knitting and about knitting baby garments.  For instance, before the 1940's baby boys wore pink, because it close to the color red, which was thought to be a strong masculine color.  Then, in the 1940's, sailor sweater came into fashion and it was decided that blue was for boys and pink was for girls.

The patterns and the photographs are beautiful.  All the patterns are knitted with light-weight yarn and size 1 or 2 needles.  Some of the garments are knitted in sock yarn.  I may consider getting this book some day.
  
Until I decide what I want to do with the sleeve on my green sweater, I've been keeping myself busy with an afghan that I may be gifted as a wedding present. 

1 comment:

Joansie said...

Do you recommend that software program? I've been thinking about it for a very long time.

I regret not buying "Vintage Baby Knits" when the designer was at my LYS and I could have had a signed copy.

A Couple of Little Projects