When I picked up the stitches for the first sleeve, I wasn't at all happy with the looks of it.
I later fixed this by sewing it closed.
This time while placing the sts that were on a stitch holder and picking up sts., I tried something different. I used a crochet hook to pick up the sts. I also picked up 16 sts instead of 12 sts like the pattern said to do. I used a smaller needle (size 5) to transfer the sts from the crochet hook to the required size 7 needle. Then, I used a technique that I have learned for picking up sts. when knitting socks. When knitting the "pick up sts." onto the size 7 needles, I knit those sts. through the back loop.
Wow! The picked up sts are almost undetectable. I wished that I had thought to do all of this for the first sleeve. I should have followed my experience and my instincts when working with the first sleeve.
Live and Learn and Knit!