Thursday, October 28, 2010

Hats and Caps

I've taken a little break from knitting the sleeves of my Tea Leaves Cardigan.  My oldest DD went to an Autumn Festival recently and she returned home with a (hand-crocheted) cap that was from one of the craft kiosks.

To tell you the truth, I was a little surprised that she had come home with a hand made hat.  She had never really showed an interested in things that I've knitted to be worn.  Well, it has 2 brown buttons on either side of it, but one of them was working it's way off already.  DD asked if I could fix it?  Could I sew the button back on?  Oh....and also, could I make it smaller or make one like it?  One problem.....I don't crochet.

So, off I went looking for a similar knitted hat.  There are tons of hat/cap patterns all over the internet, esp.; at Raverly's site.

This is what I found....

It's called The Capitan by the Soapy Knitter.  I have to sew on the button strap as soon as I get some buttons.

The particulars: Red Heart yarn from my stash, about 1/3 of a skein.  Size 10 Cirs & knit in the round and used magic loop method for the decreases for the crown.

I chose this pattern, instead of some of the other patterns for this type of cap, because I like the way the brim is designed on this.  There is not a bunch of steps in it's construction and very little sewing.  It's completely washable.

No one was around to model the hats, so I did the best that I could.


My DD is very pleased and so am I.

Here's a crochet version if you're interested.  On Raverly, Semi Newsboy Cap
 

1 comment:

Joansie said...

Wow! That didn't take you long. Your hat is many times prettier than the crocheted one. No wonder you are all delighted.

Kiwi Baby Sweater and Hat