Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Kids Are Back In School

The kids are back in school.  This means some early morning knitting time for me.  I like to get up with the kids in the morning, even though, they are old enough to get themselves off to school.  No, I don't fix them breakfast or even pack their lunches.  Really....how hard is it to pour cereal into a bowl or pop frozen waffles into the toaster?  LOL!  This is what my kids want in the wee hours of the morning.

So, I chit-chat with them a bit, have a cup of coffee, watch the news, check the weather, etc.  None of us are really morning people around here, so they aren't real big on conversation.  As a matter of fact, I'm sure that the kids would prefer that I didn't get up with them for school, but old habits are hard to break.  So...I cut them a break, I drink my coffee and I sit and knit while they munch on their bagels or cereal.  Then, they're out the door, but not before I say a quick little prayer over them and their day.

Now....here's the hard part.  For years now, my routine has been get up with the kids, coffee and knitting, and bless the kids as the go out the door, then.....I'd call my Mom.  We'd talk about her day and what she was going to do, what appointments she had, etc.  We'd talk about my day...laundry, shopping and knitting.  We always found something to laugh about, then we told each other...that we were off to a good start for the day and that we'd talk later on.  Now, there's a void.  I keep wanting to pick up that phone and call her.  I especially want to tell her about my latest project and a new yarn that I'm using.

I did a swatch last night and then, I started over with the Tea Leaves Cardigan with this Cascade Yarn.  (Superwash Wool 905-Celery)




It's wonderful.  I'm glad I ripped out and CO with this yarn.

3 comments:

Joansie said...

oh, oh....I love the start of your new sweater and I have yarn in that colorway (different brand)for a sweater. (I must not cast on!)

Yes, I'm sure it is quite a sad adjustment not to be able to call your mom. However, cherish the happy memories.

Rhonda said...

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to have you start calling ME in the morning.

Sandy said...

I understand the wanting to pick up the phone. Talk to your mother as you go about your daily business. I sorta do, makes me feel like I am in fact sharing things with her. I do talk to my Dad daily, and sometimes we cover some of the same topics I would have with Mom; but there are still times....I suspect there always will be.
Hugs
Sandy

Kiwi Baby Sweater and Hat