Monday, March 01, 2010

Van Dyke Socks

I've been a big fan of Wendy Johnson of Wendy Knits Adventures with sticks and string and of Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns, for quite some time. That being said, toe-up socks have also been my nemesis for quite some time as well. I just couldn't get the shape of the toe-up sock to my liking until recently, thanks to Hubby.

At Christmas, he gave me several sock knitting books, one of them was Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch
. This book has another technique for a toe-up sock to create a round toe, see pg.61. It's so easy and so nice!



I think that I'm finally going to succeed in making and finishing a Toe-Up sock.

Close-up of the Van Dyke socks in Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits, pg. 116





The gusset and the heel is done very differently than most toe-up socks. This one didn't involve picking up and wrapping, which I really dislike, because no matter what I did, I always ended up with holes at the gusset. This was pretty easy and straight-forward.



I'm hoping to work on the rest of the leg tonight and then try to figure out a stretchy bind-off. Who knows? I just might like knitting toe-up socks after all.

2 comments:

Joansie said...

I've yet to knit toe- up. Love yours. Try Elizabeth Zimmerman's stretchy bind-off. It's great. I tried it on a cowl finish and wondered why I didn't know about that a long time ago.

glorm said...

They look good so far. I like that pattern. It sort of looks like you are getting acupuncture--LOL.

Kiwi Baby Sweater and Hat