Saturday, March 06, 2010

My First Toe-Up Sock Done!




For years, I've been wanting to learn how to knit socks from the toe-up. There are dozens of ways to Cast On for toe-ups and I finally found that I like. Then, there was the matter of working the heel on Toe-Up socks, which is usually a wrap and turn method, which I didn't like because I always ended up with holes.

I used the Easy Round Toe for Toe-Up socks in Charlene Schurch book Sensational Knitted Socks and I knitted the Van Dyke Socks in Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy D. Johnson and the gusset and the heel flap was one of the easiest that I found, no wrapping or picking up stitches.



I'm very pleased with the way my very first (completed) Toe-Up turned out. I ended up using a Picot Bind Off (search Google) for the cuff, so that I had a stretchy cuff on my leg.

I've already CO for the second sock and I have this pattern memorized....fun knitting!



After I'm finished with these socks, I'll be searching through my sock books for another pattern to go with this yarn.



I've never used Patons Stretch Sock yarn before, but I liked the color and the price was reasonable.

2 comments:

Joansie said...

I really like the sock and was thinking of doing a toe-up sock also. The latest Knitpicks podcast is on wrapped stitches and it is very, very good. I learned something new to prevent those holes.

Gramma 2 Many said...

I will be interested in how much you like the sock. I found the yarn to be a bit course and hard feeling on my feet. Personally, I will not buy it again.

Camo & Pumpkin Hats