Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My First Toe-Up Sock & Book Review

Well, after about 6 wks. of waiting, I finally got Wendy Johnson's book; Socks from the Toe Up from my local public library.



It was well worth the wait, but as dumb luck would have it, the pattern that I had selected to do had an error it. This is about the 3rd time in a row that this had happened to me with socks and other patterns. On Wendy Knits site, she has included corrections for the patterns in the book.

Some things that I've observed from looking through this book:

1. The are about 26 different sock patterns.

2. 23 patterns are designed using super-fine wt. yarn and US size 0 (zero) needles.

3. There are 3 different styles for the heels, which is also offered on her web site under free patterns.

4. Three of the 26 patterns are knitted with sport weight yarns & US size needles 2 or 3.

5. Wendy's book uses charts instead of written instructions. In my opinion, the charts could have been a bit larger. I had to scan the page of the pattern that I was using then enlarge it so that I could see it without straining my eyes.

6. Wendy offers 5 different cast-on methods for CO for Toe-Up socks, all which are offered on the Internet, too.

All in all, her patterns are very lovely and unique and I'll consider purchasing this book in the event that I discover that I can knit a sock from the Toe-up that I like the overall fit.

Since I didn't have any needles whatsoever smaller than an US size 1; I opted to do the Van Dyke socks on pg. 114. My gauge was right on using size 2 needles, so I CO for a total of 24 sts. on 2-Cirs. I used the Turkish Cast-On method from FluffyKnitter Deb (no relation.) I worked my sock for about 3 inches and discovered that the toe didn't fit right or look right, so I frogged it and started over. I have a VERY wide foot, so I CO for a total of 28 sts. Much better. Then, I knitted for about 6 1/2 inches, or appox. 2-in. less then the total length needed for my foot. Another discovery, because I have such a wide foot, the sock only came up to about half of the length of my foot, so I ended up knitting about 20 more rows so that I could get to the place where the ankle and the foot meet so that I could begin working the heel.

This heel was pretty simple, just increases every other row until the required number of sts., then the heel flap is worked by decreasing back down to the original amount of sts. for the heel.


The heel definitely feels different than socks that are knitted from the cuff down.






I used left over cotton-blend sock yarn. I only knitted an ankle length sock, because this was an experiment in progress and I wanted to see if I could indeed make a sock from the toe-up before deciding on purchasing this book. I think that I'm satisfied with the results, but I'm going to play around with the other methods of designing the heel.

The book isn't due back to the library until mid-Aug., so we'll see what other kind of trouble I can get into.

A Little Lavender Shrug