Tuesday, February 10, 2009

New Project-Summit Hill Afghan

I decided to take a little break from the Tidal Wave Socks. I don't know why I do this, I go like gang-busters with a new project, then I slow down and sometimes move onto something new and different.

Awhile ago I had been gifted a large amount of worsted weight yarn and like money that burns a hole in one's pocket, this yarn had been just awaiting to get on some knitting needles.

It seems that I didn't finish a baby blanket all that long long and I had to start another blanket or afghan. I've been wanting to knit this one for a long time. It's called the Summit Hill Afghan, Designed Exclusively for Kraemer Yarns. I just needed to find the proper receipt, because we already have so many afghans in our home. Well, I have someone special in mind, which I'll explain in a future post.

There are 4 designs in this afghan, a tree, a heart, a flower and a house. There are charts for each design. I have never been one for chart-reading, so I tediously wrote out the patterns for each chart, but that was proving to be even more tedious and it was causing quite a lag in my knitting speed flip flopping through several sheets of papers or index cards to read & mark off rows. Then inspiration hit! I used my card software to create a layout for the afghan.


I guess I'm a little geeky after all! Either that or I have too much time on my hands. LOL! After reading Christine G's the real life home blog, I really became inspired! Christine took a sock pattern that was all charted and translated it into a text version, then she showed how she used a binder ring and cards to keep track of her rows. Well, I decided to do the opposite. I printed out the graphs for the afghan on separate pieces of paper, then I taped them to individual cards and put them on a binder ring that I had kicking around in a junk drawer. (Doesn't every home have one or more of these?)


This is working out so well and I'm making a lot of progress.


I'll probably work on this for a few days, then go back to my socks. I just love knitting! Thanks Mom for teaching me to knit. And...thanks Christine for the inspiration!

No comments: