Thursday, February 05, 2009

My Hands...Then & Now

I was supposed to have my last appt. at the burn clinic on Jan 28th, however, the weather didn't cooperate and I had to reschedule for Feb. 4th. Well, I'm happy to report that this is one chapter in my life that has come to a close.

On Christmas Eve 2007, I was helping my mother-in-law by baking pumpkin pies for her. When it came time to remove them from the oven, my ankle turned or I lost my balance or something and I fell with the pies. The lava-like pie filling splattered all over, hitting me on my face, and both of my hands and on my upper left leg. My hands sustained the worse of the injuries. My left hand had 2nd degree burns and my right hand had 3rd degree burns and required a skin graft. My face had 1st degree burns and healed just fine. I had to wear a therapeutic glove on my right hand for a year, which I didn't mind, because my hand was more comfortable with it than without it.

So...it's been quite a journey. My family and my church family stepped in immediately with casseroles and other home-cooked meals, which in turn made me appreciate them all the more and it made my family appreciate me all the more when I could cook for them again.

So the doctor said that I have healed up just fine and not to wear that glove anymore. I'm looking forward to wearing my "Mother's-ring' again. Hmm...me thinks that it's going to need to be re-sized. It seems to have shrunk a bit while sitting in the jewelry box for over a year. I thought only my dryer had the ability to shrink my things???

This is my hand a month after the accident.

and this my hand 13 months later.....


I must say that thanks to all the prayers and to the constant knitting therapy....my hands are back to normal. Now....where is my knitting???

3 comments:

Joansie said...

That is such great news, Deb. You never complained about the pain the entire time. I also think that knitting can be very therapeutic in many ways.

Sandy said...

That is sooooooooo awesome! It looks so much better and I'm so excited for you that you can wear your ring again. Do take it easy though and don't over do.

lol...things to have a way of shrinking don't they.

Hugs
Sandy

Jill L said...

Wow you healed great. I remember when that happened and I was so worrried about you. YOu have some a long way

2 Baby Girl Sweaters Finished