Saturday, January 17, 2009

Another UFO is Finished! The Hooded Baby Blanket


I finally got this hooded baby blanket done! A couple of years ago, I had made a hooded baby towel for a friend from church when she was pregnant. It was knitted with a baby cotton.

Well, the "baby" is about 18 mons. old now and the mom told me that her daughter really loves her towel/blanket & that she just loves to to be cuddled it with her head covered. Well, of course, the baby has out-grown the original and the mom had asked me last spring about making a bigger one.

This was an easy project, but I think that it was too easy, because I become bored with it rather quickly. Either that or I have become hopeless addicted & fascinated with knitting socks. Sock knitters....who know what I mean. So, anyway, this blanket was almost done & then, my dog decided to lay on it & put a big snag in it! So.....I had to frog it & put it back in. (Sigh...and people with cats think that they suffer with their knitting.) I knitted & I knitted. This is all garter stitch.....not one of my favorite things to do, I get this from my Mom. (Thanks, mom.) The blanket sat and sat in a basket. I had completely forgotten about it until I had read about Knitting By the Ocean's blog about her all garter stitch sweater. I also would suffer a pang of guilt every time I would see this mom & child in church and think to myself, "you better quit knitting those darn socks & finish that blanket!" But, what do they say?, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

The weather has gotten a bit nippy around here, so I thought that I had better get busy & finish it. Now, I could kick myself, (if my cerebral palsy wouldn't hinder me in doing so. LOL!) it took me 1 evening of knitting to finish! I few rows for the blanket & then the hood!

I used Donna's Diagonal Knit Hooded Towel pattern, but I used Caron's Simply Soft yarn & I knitted the blanket until I had 205 sts, then I started the decreases. Then, I picked up 6 sts on the edge & knitted the hood until I had 75 sts, then I BO. I also used my Denise (pink) set US size 9 needles. It looks huge, so I hope that my friend & her toddler like it.

Shhh....what's that I hear? It's my socks...they're calling me, actually beckoning me, "Come here...knit me..knit me."

3 comments:

Joansie said...

Love the blanket and that toddler will also. You are too funny! So addicted to socks and I can remember when you first started.

Garter stitch is fine for projects that don't need concentration such as with a knitting group, otherwise, like you, I get bored.

LizzieK8 said...

It's a good blanket! Very nice.

I've found that when I get bored with the garter stitch stuff, I start adding patterns for a few rows to break up the boredom. Ten or so rows of garter, then ten or so rows of some pattern made up of knits and purls. Then ten more rows of garter. It adds interest to the finished project and keeps the knitter from insanity!

Sandy said...

Very nice, they'll love it. Glad you got it done, another wip becomes a ufo! Muy Buen

Sandy

Kiwi Baby Sweater and Hat