Monday, December 01, 2008

A Very Special Thanksgiving

As some of you may be aware, I sustained 2nd & 3rd degree burns to both of my hands last Christmas Eve while removing hot pumpkin pies from the oven. I'm fully recovered, well, at least physically. I still have a very difficult time getting within arm's reach of a hot oven & I often have to rely on my family to place things in the hot oven & to remove them.

I cooked this year for my family as I usually do. Well, what would Thanksgiving be without pumpkin pie? Friends & family had threatened (very lovingly) to sever both of my hands if I went anywhere near an oven this year. This could have proven to be a dilemma, but my family really came through for me and each other.

My DH helped organize & clean the house. My oldest DD ran errands....my hubby & DD were in cohorts about something.......my teenage DS stayed home on Thanksgiving Eve. to put the pumpkin pies in & out of the oven for me. My youngest DD & I peeled about 15 lbs. of potatoes together & we got caught up on some mother-daughter talk. My cousins brought salad, side-dishes & homemade dinner rolls & brownies! My sister brought the yams & an apple pie & the cranberry sauce.


Then, after the feast....everyone pitched in for the clean-up & the putting away of all the leftovers. I don't ever remember a Thanksgiving such as this! As if this wasn't enough....then came the surprise of the evening........



This is when I wished I could supply sound! A couple of weeks ago, hubby & I were out & about looking for Christmas gifts. We ended up in a Lowe's Home Improvement store. I kept hearing Elvis Christmas songs. THEN....my eyes spotted it! A replication of Graceland with lights & sound. Hubby asked me if I liked it? Was he kidding??? But....it was a lot of money and we were shopping for others & not for myself. So, I dismissed the idea of getting this or having this.

I knew that my DH & my oldest DD were up to something on the day before Thanksgiving, but I wasn't sure what. While we were having dessert on Thanksgiving, we all took note that the kids had disappeared. This was either a good thing or it was a bad thing.....they were too quiet. Suddenly they emerged from the basement with gift in tow and the Graceland decoration was in the box! I was stunned & surprised & touched very much.

My hubby explained to a family friend who was at the house for dinner at the time, "She always did like Elvis, but now she's given her heart to another King."


I will always remember this Thanksgiving.

No comments:

A Couple of Little Projects