Monday, December 01, 2008

A Very Special Thanksgiving

As some of you may be aware, I sustained 2nd & 3rd degree burns to both of my hands last Christmas Eve while removing hot pumpkin pies from the oven. I'm fully recovered, well, at least physically. I still have a very difficult time getting within arm's reach of a hot oven & I often have to rely on my family to place things in the hot oven & to remove them.

I cooked this year for my family as I usually do. Well, what would Thanksgiving be without pumpkin pie? Friends & family had threatened (very lovingly) to sever both of my hands if I went anywhere near an oven this year. This could have proven to be a dilemma, but my family really came through for me and each other.

My DH helped organize & clean the house. My oldest DD ran errands....my hubby & DD were in cohorts about something.......my teenage DS stayed home on Thanksgiving Eve. to put the pumpkin pies in & out of the oven for me. My youngest DD & I peeled about 15 lbs. of potatoes together & we got caught up on some mother-daughter talk. My cousins brought salad, side-dishes & homemade dinner rolls & brownies! My sister brought the yams & an apple pie & the cranberry sauce.

Then, after the feast....everyone pitched in for the clean-up & the putting away of all the leftovers. I don't ever remember a Thanksgiving such as this! As if this wasn't enough....then came the surprise of the evening........



This is when I wished I could supply sound! A couple of weeks ago, hubby & I were out & about looking for Christmas gifts. We ended up in a Lowe's Home Improvement store. I kept hearing Elvis Christmas songs. THEN....my eyes spotted it! A replication of Graceland with lights & sound. Hubby asked me if I liked it? Was he kidding??? But....it was a lot of money and we were shopping for others & not for myself. So, I dismissed the idea of getting this or having this.

I knew that my DH & my oldest DD were up to something on the day before Thanksgiving, but I wasn't sure what. While we were having dessert on Thanksgiving, we all took note that the kids had disappeared. This was either a good thing or it was a bad thing.....they were too quiet. Suddenly they emerged from the basement with gift in tow and the Graceland decoration was in the box! I was stunned & surprised & touched very much.

My hubby explained to a family friend who was at the house for dinner at the time, "She always did like Elvis, but now she's given her heart to another King."

I will always remember this Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Joansie said...

Sounds like your Thanksgiving Day was so much fun. How thoughtful of your family to surprise you with "Graceland".

Remember all the Elvis movies and how much fun they were. Very tame in comparison to today's flicks.

Sandy said...

OHHHHHHHHHHH how sweet, the gift of loving support and your Graceland. I didn't know about your accident last year, glad to know things are better; so sorry though this happened to you.

Sandy
http://homelessbridge.blogspot.com/

Rhonda Henrich said...

Huggs, Debbie!

I'm so glad you're healing up well. I don't blame you about not liking to get near the oven. I've always been nervous about them myself.

What a wonderful surprise! The model Graceland is charming. One day we'll have to get together and you can show it off to me. What an honor to your family to get to bless you like that. You SO deserve it!

Blessings, Rhonda

Camo & Pumpkin Hats