Friday, July 11, 2008

Spiral Rib Are Finished!

Spiral Rib Are Finished!

Spiral+Rib+Socks.JPG (image)


I finally finished my Spiral Rib Socks. Did you ever feel the urge to buy a knitting book just because you liked or loved 1 pattern? Well, that's what I did! I saw these Spiral Rib Socks in Ann Budd's book Getting Started Knitting Socks (pg. 92) and I just had to have the book. At first, I thought I shouldn't get this book, because it's geared towards beginner sock knitters and it also has patterns that are done on DPN's, BUT I wanted this pattern! This book is wonderful, because it has stitch patterns that can easily be adapted for any yarn weight & size needles imaginable with lots of photos for examples.

These socks were a lot of fun and were an experiment in the working.


(these were done on DPN's....I like the heel!)

I really liked the way the heel looks, but I didn't enjoy working the rest of the foot and the toe on DPN's. So, I did the second sock on 2-Cirs.

(this was on 2-Cirs...the heel is OK.)


The original Ann Budd pattern was worked on worsted wt. yarn & US size 5 DPN's, however, I wanted to use sock yarn & US size 3 needles. So, I used Budd's pattern for "8 Stitches Per Inch" as a template and I did the first sock on DPN's and then I did the 2nd sock on 2-Cirs, but I'm not too crazy about the way the heel looks or feels on the one on 2-Cirs. I'm not too sure what the difference is. But, I think that I'm going to take a clue from http://lizzysends.blogspot.com/2008/07/hf-socks.html and maybe work my next pr. of socks on 2-Cirs, but switching to DPN's for the heel. If your not reading Lizzie's blog.....try it.....you'll like it!

I also used my new Sock Wizard software v. 2 to help figure me out my guage and to knit a wide toe instead of the classic round toe, which is so comfortable!

Now, I'm off to work on some of my many other UFO's.

3 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

Deb, they are gorgeous! Congrats on a beautiful pair.

I did the heel flap on my second tropical sock on DPNs, too, and then transferred everything back to the Magic Loop. I can do it all on the Magic Loop, but why? :)

Joansie said...

You didn't find a difference in size when switching from DP's to circulars? I can't switch. I think you are more than ready for a Cat Bordhi sock pattern...I challenge you...lol. Forgot to mention in other comment...check out www.tastebook.com to create your own cookbook and share with others. You can even upload pictures.

Jill L said...

Love your socks -- they're lovely! I do my heels with DPNS and then go back to Magic Loop for the rest of the leg. I love the outcome.

2 Baby Girl Sweaters Finished