Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Why do my pick-up sts. look different?

I've been working on a lovely Spiral Rib (Ann Budd pattern) sock. Every sock that I knit is different & unique from each other. Last night I worked on the heel & then pick up sts. for the gusset. Today, I'm working on the decreases for the gusset. I don't know how I do it, but one side always looks better that the other.

In the first photo the edge sort of looks like a chain-edge. In the second photo, no chain-edge. What's up w/that? I picked up & knitted the sts. the same way for both sides.






Maybe my fellow sock-knitters can give me some help here, so that this doesn't happen w/the next sock? BTW, I don't plan on ripping it out. If someone is close enough to my socks to see this while I'm wearing them.....then they are definitely too close.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb, I find that I am prone to pick up the backloop on the first side I pick up stitches and the front loop on the other side. Could that be the cause? But basically who cares? Noone is going to see it but you. And if they do, tell them it's a design effect, so you know which sock goes on whic foot. *grin* Renate

Anonymous said...

"If someone is close enough to my socks to see this while I'm wearing them.....then they are definitely too close."

Ummmm...yeah...pretty much. To be honest I've only done one pair of socks, but I'm with you on that. I'm thinking about this though, and one always knits from right to left, so even when its knitted the same...in the round it might look a little different. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I notice all my socks have different pick-ups for the gussetts, but like you said, if anyone is close enough to notice they are too close, and also need a better hobby than checking out my fat feet!

A Couple of Little Projects