Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Why do my pick-up sts. look different?

I've been working on a lovely Spiral Rib (Ann Budd pattern) sock. Every sock that I knit is different & unique from each other. Last night I worked on the heel & then pick up sts. for the gusset. Today, I'm working on the decreases for the gusset. I don't know how I do it, but one side always looks better that the other.

In the first photo the edge sort of looks like a chain-edge. In the second photo, no chain-edge. What's up w/that? I picked up & knitted the sts. the same way for both sides.






Maybe my fellow sock-knitters can give me some help here, so that this doesn't happen w/the next sock? BTW, I don't plan on ripping it out. If someone is close enough to my socks to see this while I'm wearing them.....then they are definitely too close.


5 comments:

Jill L said...

you know I don't knit mine with a gussett, so I can help you, but the yarn is pretty. I hope you find an answer to your problem

Joansie said...

I'm brain dead for now so I can't tell you the difference in picking up the stitches. I love the yarn.

Sandy said...

I'm not a sock knitter &yet). It's on the list of things I want to learn to do; sorry no help to you.

Noticed you're comment about teal and tan yarn from the 70's on Joansie's blog and thought I'd pop over.

Tan and teal would make an interesting ghan. The two colors in combination would be striking. Obviously each by themselves would work too. Some people like plain tan cause it goes with everything. I could see some hats and scarfs out of those colors also. Again striped together as well as on their own.

Because of the types of things I'm making and the charities they go to, I tend to use lots of acrylics.

Good luck with your stitch problem, sorry I can't help. Good luck with the your odd yarn (odd in that it's not what you normally use).

Swing by for a visit welcome mats always out.

Sandy

Sandy said...

Thanks for the visit Deb. Can you explain Google Reader to me? I've heard people talking about, but I really don't understand what it is.

Also wanted to ask you about 2 types of yarn that I've never used. Berroco Comfort (50% cotton and 50% acrylic), and Brown Sheep 80% cotton and 20% wool called Cotton Fleece.

I'm wondering what items these yarns would be best suited for. Someone has sent some to me and I'm trying to determine what to make with it.

Thanks
Sandy
Hope you'll visit frequently.

Linda Faye said...

Hi Deb, you found my blog now I found yours - nice job! You're a sock knitter & I envy you. Your work is beautiful.

Linda in Delray Beach

A Couple of Little Projects