Saturday, April 19, 2008

Toe-Up Sock

I'm still on a sock-knitting adventure. Maybe it's because they're so versatile. Socks can be done on DPN's, 2-Cirs, the Magic-Loop, and they can be knitted from the cuff down or from the toe-up. There's so many yarns from which to choose from, even yarns that that do the fair-isle thing all by itself. How cool is that?

My first socks were baby socks done on metal DPN's. I hated it, because DPN's & I don't play nicely together, but I did want to learn to knit socks. So, my first pair of socks for myself were done on 2-Cirs. I used Cat Bordhi's book, Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles . but I had to have a lot help from my blogging friends. This was just the just the beginning. Since then, I've been exploring knitting socks on the the Magic Loop and I have been diligently trying to figure out how to do socks from the toe up. I've been working on this for weeks. The problem? I just can't seem to get the hang of the "Provisional Cast-On". It was enough to make think that I was never going to knit toe-up socks! I was born determined! I tried & I tried & I practiced & I practiced toe-up socks. I tried all sorts cast-on methods and I finally got the hang of the Turkish Cast-On: and I use the a Knit Pick Needle for the cable to hold my "live sts." But, my toe-up sock experience didn't stop here. I discovered that I just didn't like the general appearance of the way the toes looked with all the increases involved in achieving the toe.

My problem was, I knew how I wanted my toe to look, but I didn't know how to get there. THEN.....with the help of my of my Sock Wizard Software I tried the "Turned Toe" method for the toe. Cat Bordhi also has a pattern for the Turned Toe in her book, but it's a little different. I really like this way of working the toe, because by the time you've completed the turned toe, all of your shaping & increasing is done & you're ready to start knitting in the round. In a wild moment, I bought some new yarn : Fortissima Socka AND Bamboo Double-Pointed Needles! This Yarn is yummy & these needles are great! So far, so good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb, are you on Ravelry?

Anonymous said...

Nice toe!

Kiwi Baby Sweater and Hat