Monday, April 21, 2008

More Un-Knitting-The Toe Up Socks

This green color seems rather appropriate. The toe up sock that I had been (fighting) working with.....well, it went to the infamous frog pond. I really do like "The Turned Toe" technique for the toe shaping. However, as I was contently knitting away on this sock, my eye kept getting drawn to something not quite right about the sock. As much as I tried to ignore it, my eyes kept reverting back to it like a magnet.

Those little "live sts." that I had on hold on a cable, while I did my knitting, then picked up later....well, they look defective. (Sorry...no photos. My camera makes things a blur when I try to get close to the details.) I tried all sorts of things. I knitted these specialsts. through the back loops. Nope, that didn't work. I tried un -twisting them as I knitted them off of the cable. Nope that didn't work either. I tried using a smaller needle. I tried having a little heart-to-heart talk with myself. I told myself that these twisted, malformed stitches really wouldn't matter, because after all they would be on the sole of the foot where no one, but me would know they existed. That didn't work either, because I would ALWAYS know they were there. Every time I put them on, every time I washed them, every time I took them out of the laundry basket to fold. So, off to the frog pond they went! Fortunately, I had only about 3 inched completed before diving in.

So...it was more un-knitting for me today. There must be some of that going around these days. Have a look at Knitting With a Y: The Accounts of a Male Knitter blog and you'll see what I mean.

1 comment:

glorm1 said...

My goodness, you are having all kinds of problems with knitting.

That guy is a pretty good knitter. Lots of time I have the same problem: just develop lack of interest in a project, put it away, but don't pick it up again for ages.

2 Baby Girl Sweaters Finished