Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Kids Socks & the BSJ Project

I’ve just been so fascinated with the Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann that so many from the groups & blogs are knitting lately. I am so tempted to borrow an EZ book from the library & give this one a try.

Alas…..I stuck on socks! I had just completed my 3 rd pair of socks when my youngest DD requested a pair for herself. So, we went to the LYS & she selected some Sockotta yarn in Pink, Orange & Yellow colors that will knit into pretty nifty stripes. Socks for kids are so quick & so easy; I wish that I knew this earlier!

Well, the whole time that I have been knitting socks, something has been bugging me about the heel. When look at the profile of the sock, the heel looks very sloppy. It feels OK when wearing the sock, but the heel looks all bunched up. I’m a beginner when it comes to sock knitting, but I’m a long-time perfectionist when it comes to my knitting. The very first sock that I attempted to knit was attempted on 2-Cirs. & I was trying to learn by using the book Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles by Cat Bordhi (Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles). Personally, I found the book difficult to understand unless one has already knitted socks on DPN’s, so that’s what I did. I found a pattern for a baby sock done on 4 DPN & I completed my very first sock. Even though, I was less than thrilled w/working with the DPN’s the baby sock was great! I do recall that there was some trading around of stitches when picking the stitches for the gusset, & I do recall that there was something like this done on 2-Cirs in Cat Bordhi’s book. My sock wizard software doesn’t seem to use this method, so maybe this is the reason the heel isn’t looking the way that I want. Now, that I am a little more familiar w/the way socks are assembled, I’m going to go back & have another look at Bordhi’s book. I’ll get the hang of it eventually. Maybe my fellow sock-knitters know what I’m talking about & will offer some suggestions?

I’ve made a lot of progress on my cardigan & my other DD want footie socks, so the BSJ will be on the bottom of the lists for a later time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb, it appears you are encountering the problem when you reach the "gusset" area. Are you decreasing enough stitches? Perhaps it's the number of stitches you are picking up though I don't really think so. Practice makes perfect.

Lizzie said...

Problem solving questions...how are you picking up the sts? Are you decreasing every other round? Have you washed and blocked the socks? Lots of stuff disappears in the wash.... Are you using a sock pattern on line?

Anonymous said...

Deb, are you doing the short-row heel? I find that really doesn't fit my foot as well as a regular heel. When you get to where you start the heel, take 50% of your stitches and knit heel with it. The ratio is always 50% of stitches, i.e. 60 stitches in the sock, 30 stitches for the heal and 2 rows less than the no. of stitches in the heel, for the heel flap before you turn your heel. I'm with you 5DPs are better than one or two circs. I attempted to learn this method too and failed miserably. After knitting socks with 5 DPs for 60 years, I decided that was good enough for me. If I can help you with socks, let me know. Renate

2 Baby Girl Sweaters Finished