Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Details on DD's Socks & the Dishcloths

My kids needed to use the computer for their homework last night, so I wasn't able to go into too much detail about the socks or the dishcloths.

These socks were made with my favorite sock yarn, Plymouth's Sockotta Yarn #5616 (45% Cotton, 40% Superwash Wool, 15% Nylon 7 sts = 1"/US2 needle / 414 yds/100g ball)

I used US size 2 (2-Cir) needles for the socks. Well, actually these particular socks were an experiment in the making. Sock #1 was done completely on 2 Cirs. Sock #2 was done on 1-Cir using the "Magic-Loop" method since I had only a total of 48 sts. for DD's socks & my circular needle was only 24" long, which I discovered is too short to work the pick-up sts. for the gusset. So, I worked the cuff & the leg of sock #2 on the Magic Loop, but had to switch back to the 2-Cirs after I was done with the Heel Turn. My DD & I discovered that sock #2 is just a tad tighter than sock #1. From my observations, the sts. of the leg that was on the ML are more even & uniform. I really like the way they look. I guess this means that I'm going to have get me some longer cirs for the ML method.

The ML was of knitting sure is a conversation starter. People sure wonder what the heck you're doing when the see you working on a loop! My mom says that it should be called "butterfly" knitting.

I belong to couple of Yahoo Dishcloth knitting groups & someone mentioned this pattern from Lion Brand Yarns: Free Knitting Pattern
Dish Cloth Lion Brand® Lion Cotton
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kkc-dishCloths.html

They also mentioned that they worked the first 2 rows in a solid color & the next 2 rows in a variegated color, but it is a great way to use up those odds & ends of cotton yarn & it's an ideal project that doesn't require a lot of concentration. I like to knit these when I'm on the go, or in the car or watching TV.

That's all for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like both, th socks and the dishcloth. Right now I have several projects on the needles. Socks (1 down, one to go), Hemlock Ring Afghan KAL, lace scarf, and tomorrow a new German Lace KAL with an original design starts. I can't wait. Renate

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for the invite. I LOVE those socks! I have been wanting to find sock yarn with those colors, and now you've helped me know where to look. And I like the dishcloth, too - I actually love the colors in that yarn. Very nice work.

Tywanna's Needlework said...

Good Morning. Love the socks. We have a store in Cary, North Carolina called Shuttles Needles and Hooks that sell different brands of yarns that would be hard to find in Michael's or AC Moore. Shuttles Needles and Hooks is a two story house that is filled with yarns, books, supplies from 2nd floor to 1st floor. The owner is very nice and will even teach you to knit for free (I want to say it is free) as long as you purchase the yarn from her store. Also, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment..... keep on talking to your daughter. As my mom told me years ago, you can raise a good wholesome child but it only takes one bad seed to unglue everything you have taught your child. ~ Take Care and have a nice day. ~

A Couple of Little Projects