It was really bugging me that I couldn't get this heel flap & heel turn thing figured out. C'mon now.....I know that some are able to do it with their eyes closed.
OK.....I had a little peace & quiet after dinner tonight & I got out some bigger straight needles & some spare yarn & I CO on the # of stitches required for working the heel turn of my pattern. And....I took things VERY slowly and then.........I had the aha moment! The particular pattern that I'm using has an "ssp", which I had never done before, but basically it's decreasing on the purl side of this pattern. I discovered the error of my ways! Leave it too me, I turned a decrease into an increase. Instead of decreasing, I had created a YO, which I though looked pretty good, after all it went with the lacy pattern of the sock. It was pretty. It was lacy, but I had way too many stitches. Now, I have to figure out how to rip out without ripping out too much.